The Economic Development Growth Engine Industrial Development Board of the City of Memphis and County of Shelby, TN (“EDGE”) is a Tennessee industrial development board created in 2011 under Tennessee Code §7-53-101 et seq. EDGE is governed by an 11-member board appointed equally by the City of Memphis and Shelby County, and is a public, non-profit entity that uses property tax abatements, tax increment financing, loans, grants, Foreign-Trade Zone 77, and other tools to spur local economic growth. EDGE also manages the Memphis and Shelby Port Commission, which runs the International Port of Memphis (5th busiest inland port in the nation) and the Greater Memphis Alliance for a Competitive Workforce. The EDGE Strategic Plan focuses on: (1) industrial development; (2) the Port of Memphis; (3) neighborhood revitalization; (4) small business growth; and (5) promoting regional collaboration.
The Marketing & Communications Director is responsible for informing key audiences of EDGE’s role in the community, its efforts and successes, by planning, developing, and implementing all EDGE communication and marketing initiatives, including print, electronic and social media; public relations; print and electronic materials; advertising; and Web sites.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/JOB FUNCTIONS
• Develop and implement an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of EDGE activities, impact in the community, and overall brand with targeted external audiences, including public officials, civic and business leadership, and the general public.
• Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all EDGE print, electronic and online communications.
• Serve as media spokesperson and lead point person on all media interactions.
• Actively engage, cultivate, and manage media relationships to ensure accurate coverage of EDGE programs and initiatives.
• Provide written material for EDGE websites, media releases, print documents and other uses.
• Develop and maintain EDGE family of websites. Continually identify improvements in design and content.
• Maintain and ensure accuracy of EDGE online project database and archive.
• Manage Marketing and Communications staff, including assignments, training, and performance reviews.
EDGE Marketing & Communications Director
• Identify, solicit, evaluate, and hire consultants and contractors as needed and as approved by the EDGE President.
• Provide training on media and internet tools for EDGE Board and staff.
• Manage internal communications including regular updates to EDGE Board, Finance Committee, and staff.
• Develop talking points for Board members and staff for public presentations, press briefings, interviews, and other uses.
• Participate in the preparation of all EDGE sponsored events.
• Represent EDGE at meetings and events as required, including public presentations.
• Respond to requests under Tennessee’s Open Records Statute and other requests from public or private entities or individuals for information or comment.
NON--ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Take photographs at EDGE events.
• Produce slides and/or videos for EDGE Board meeting presentations.
• Develop and maintain EDGE online contact lists.
• Monitor EDGE brand activity on media and social networking sites; provide monthly report to management and the EDGE Board.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations that do not cause EDGE undue hardship may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations or related field, or equivalent work experience required. Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of five (5) years work-related experience required; at least three (3) years in a related position with government and/or non-profit organizations preferred.
Certification and/or awards from recognized local, state, regional and/or national organizations are preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• History of ethical and honest behavior, demonstrating a commitment to integrity, respect and teamwork in professional and other activities.
• Demonstrated ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
• Demonstrated success in proactively building and maintaining media relationships and in positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
• Ability to plan, organize and successfully manage multiple activities simultaneously and meet stated deadlines.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills. Compelling and error-free written documents.
• Strong storytelling skills. Ability to develop compelling narratives out of available datasets and information.
EDGE Marketing & Communications Director
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Ability to work before and after regular office hours on an as-needed basis.
• Demonstrated success leading and supervising employees and working with other staff to achieve organizational goals.
• Expertise with desktop publishing and content management systems, including: Adobe Creative Suite (including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, GoLive, and Acrobat); Wordpress; and PowerPoint.
• Ability to produce professional designs that promote a positive public perception.
• Valid driver’s license and some travel required.
Requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a desk and at meetings. Some mental pressure or stress due to deadlines, internal and external discussion of project or program effectiveness, or during discussions with management. Some local/regional/occasional statewide or national travel. Bending, stooping, and lifting file boxes, etc., up to 20 pounds; filing. Some walking and standing. Extended time using a computer.
Work is conducted in typical indoor office environment, though visits to and tours of retail, commercial, manufacturing, distribution, medical, educational and other facilities are a regular part of the work. Outdoor events and programs may also be required. Must be able to travel throughout Shelby County and occasionally to more distant destinations by ground or air.