Our client is an established food ingredients company that manufactures proprietary blends for a broad range of specialty food products. The Director of Technical Services & Quality Assurance will establish a Corporate Quality Assurance system and team that promotes customer satisfaction and positively impacts the financial performance of the company. This salaried position reports to the Vice President of Technical Services. Departments reporting to this position include Quality Control Managers, Senior Laboratory Technicians, Lab Technicians and Documentation Specialist.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Initiates and implements Quality Improvement activities as appropriate to raise the performance of the Company’s product lines.
- Educates and trains Employees within the Quality Management system.
- Develops, implements, manages and integrates a QMS for manufacturing plants.
- Serves as the primary Quality Control resource for root-cause problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvement through effective corrective actions.
- Provides leadership in product Safety, Quality, Regulatory Affairs and Technical excellence.
- Designs, implements and documents procedures for process control, process improvement, testing and inspection. These include trace and recall, sanitation and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s).
- Establishes collection and analysis systems of statistical data to predict trends that will affect improvement of product Quality.
- Remains current with regulations that govern our products and processes.
- Interfaces with Suppliers and Customers concerning Quality issues and corrective actions.
- Develops process certification standards and assists in process certification. This includes implementing all aspects of FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) to assure compliance.
- Manages Vendor Approval process and establishes Supplier Quality requirements.
- Participates in internal and external Quality Audits.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry or related field.
- A minimum of 5-10 years in a QA environment with Food Safety, Quality Assurance and/or Sanitation experience.
- HACCP certification required.
- Ability to work independently and as a cross-functional team leader who is self-motivated, approachable and personable.
- Resourceful problem solver who takes the initiative in addressing challenging issues.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Proficient in oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of computer skills and standard office equipment.
- Experience preferred in Dry Food Blending and Mixing as well as SQF Practitioner Certification and PCQI (Preventative Controls Qualified Individual) training.