Our client in Memphis aims to create a demonstrable reduction in poverty by disrupting prevalent models of philanthropic investment and promoting an evidence-based poverty-fighting ecosystem in Memphis, TN.
Our client is an independent assessor of poverty-fighting impact. They help identify nonprofits with the evidence or potential to create the most poverty-fighting impact and provide an objective assessment of their performance. They then work alongside nonprofits to identify opportunities for growth to enhance their capabilities and impact. Finally, they directly invest in nonprofits and influence further investments to help amplify high-impact interventions and address opportunities for growth.
To create a better quality of life for our under-resourced neighbors, our client has created a feedback loop that helps nonprofits and funders understand the poverty-fighting impact of their efforts. Nonprofit leaders receive actionable intelligence on their strengths and opportunities for growth while funders receive critical data and insights to make informed investment decisions.
As our client’s portfolio of nonprofits grows, so does their understanding of what creates the greatest poverty-fighting impact. Our client believes widely disseminating insights from their impact assessments will improve the local philanthropic ecosystem by enhancing transparency, promoting equity, and influencing future investments that support high-impact poverty-fighting interventions.
Role of the Managing Director, Advancement:
Our client is currently seeking a Managing Director of Advancement to help accelerate the fight against poverty in Memphis, Tennessee. This role is part of the leadership team that oversees a group of skilled, passionate, and driven people who are highly motivated to achieve our client's mission. The Managing Director of Advancement is personally responsible for securing investments while building out our client’s advancement strategy, infrastructure, playbook,
The Managing Director of Advancement will help to disrupt prevailing models of philanthropy in Memphis by leading our client’s efforts to fund its impact assessment strategy and the
high-impact poverty-fighting interventions of its nonprofit partners. They need an influencer who demonstrates belief in our client’s results-driven approach and personal and professional values that align with Our client’s mission and core values.
A qualified candidate has exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, a comprehensive understanding of the sales/donor development cycle, and a track record of closing large sales and/or investments.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the CEO.
Measurement Fund & IMPACT Fund:
Measurement Fund. This fund covers all of our client’s annual operating expenses. The Managing Director of Advancement is responsible for securing these funds. For 2021, this requires investments of $1,750,000. This amount will increase annually as our client continues to grow. Measurement Funders guarantee that none of the funds invested in the IMPACT Fund are used for our client’s operations.
IMPACT Fund. Each year, nonprofits in our client’s portfolio that demonstrate high impact or the potential for impact are eligible to receive funding through our client’s IMPACT Fund. 100% of the funds raised for the IMPACT Fund are invested directly into our nonprofit partners to support our city's highest-performing poverty-alleviating programs. Our client solicits individual investments and pools investments to support the work of our nonprofit partners. The Managing Director of Advancement is responsible for securing these funds. For 2020, this required investments of $2,000,000. This amount will increase annually as our portfolio of partner organizations expands.
The Managing Director of Advancement is responsible for securing investments for both the Measurement Fund and the IMPACT Fund. Our client’s CEO and Board of Directors will partner in these efforts; however, ownership for achieving fundraising goals lies with the Managing Director of Advancement.
Development & Fundraising
- Clearly articulate the benefits of our client’s impact assessments and investment model to potential donors, convincing others to invest in our client’s IMPACT Fund and Measurement Fund.
- Secure the dollars needed for our client’s IMPACT Fund in support of our nonprofit partners, with cooperation from the CEO and the Board of Directors. For 2020, they raised and allocated $2,000,000. This amount will increase annually as our portfolio of partner organizations expands.
- Secure the dollars needed for our client’s Measurement Fund in support of the organization’s operational budget with cooperation from the CEO and Board of Directors. For 2021, this required $1,750,000. This amount will increase annually as our organization continues to grow.
- Serve as the principal fundraiser to raise the funds needed to advance our client's mission by strengthening relationships with existing investors and increasing the number of investors in the Measurement Fund and IMPACT Fund.
- Develop a three-year fundraising plan, with input from the CEO and Board of Directors, to support our client's portfolio of partners expanding to 70 organizations by the end of 2023.
- Expand development efforts to support our client's future expansion to other strategic locations across the country starting in 2022.
- Over time hire and manage a development team to provide operational support for the fundraising efforts of our client.
- Build out a development board consisting of volunteer ambassadors to assist with fundraising efforts in the community.
- Drive our client’s effort to accomplish the goals and objectives in its strategic plan for fundraising and developmen Monitor and report outcomes to the CEO (See Goal 3 and Objectives 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 below under Institutional Goals and Measurable Objectives for Our client Memphis).
- Continually review, refine, and advance approaches to building investor relationships.
- Maintain strong rapport/buy-in with current funders as evidenced by achieving agreed upon retention rates for our IMPACT Funders.
- Maintain ongoing dialogue with Measurement Funders as evidenced by speaking, meeting, or otherwise communicating with each funder (individual and/or family) no less 1x per month.
- Raise substantial funding outside of Memphis as evidenced by attracting no less than 1 major funder (non-local) in 2021 ($150,000 Minimum) and additional amounts to be determined for 2022 and beyond.
- Accelerate our work among local foundations as evidenced by formalizing alliances (and getting major funding) from no less than two additional foundations.
- Plan and manage events and fundraisers.
Marketing & Messaging
- Oversee social media marketing and grow our client’s online presence.
- Leverage social media to keep donors and potential donors informed about our work and the work of our partner organizations as evidenced by doubling the number of posts in 2021.
- Widen brand awareness in the community by issuing no less than 3 articles, press releases, or interviews in 2021.
- Increase community awareness of our client through marketing efforts, public speaking engagements, and social networking.
- Promote brand recognition and work with the CEO to develop and manage a comprehensive marketing strategy.
- Oversee the design and production of the organization’s communication strategy relative to donor appreciation and recognition.
- Streamline our stakeholder communication, working with our client’s staff to provide meaningful quarterly reports.
- Execute an efficient and meaningful communication strategy to keep stakeholders informed of our client’s accomplishments.
Administration & Management
- Work with Our client’s Impact Council to monitor progress on achieving organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop our client’s advancement infrastructure, including Salesforce functionalities, automation, and donor cycles in order to accurately forecast progress toward funding goals.
- Maintain updated mailing lists, donor lists, and donor profiles. Analyze fundraising data as needed and prepare reports using Salesforce software.
- Retain existing donor commitments through face to face meetings and regular communication efforts.
- Draft annual and special appeals to build our client’s donor base
- Receive, acknowledge and track contributions and pledges through our client’s Salesforce database
- Research and write grant proposals.
- Assist in the development, production, and dissemination of support materials for fundraising.
- Passion for leading disruptive change and not settling for the status quo.
- Personal interest in alleviating poverty and building equity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to succinctly and persuasively communicate our client’s value proposition.
- Possesses a servant leader mindset, focuses on empowering staff and board members.
- Strong empathy and listening skills.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence with a consistent track record of successfully working with diverse personalities.
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to work with a team to meet its objectives.
- Proactively seeks constructive feedback and can share feedback with others in a way that inspires them to be their bes
- Self-directed, can produce exemplary work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates project management skills, including effective organization, efficient process management, and ability to structure ambiguous situations.
- Flexibility to meet with constituents during times that are conducive to their schedules.
- Demonstrates a strong desire to promote equity and transparency within the philanthropic sector for the benefit of our neighbors.
- Relevant postgraduate degree and/or 5+ years of applicable work experience.