This position performs technical duties in the installation, maintenance, repair, and service of fire protection equipment and fire alarm/suppression control systems. This includes fire safety inspections, emergency and exit lighting inspections, and egress pathways. This position requires interaction with such entities as the Memphis Fire Department, State of Tennessee Fire Marshal, licensed fire safety contractors, insurance providers and building contractors/ architects. This position must be able to coordinate work with multiple vendors on multiple projects simultaneously and will be responsible for all related clerical duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Coordinates work
- Responsible for purchase order (PO) requests and sourcing for materials and vendors
- Performs the inspection, testing, maintenance, and repair (in accordance with NFPA standards, state and local regulations) of all portable fire extinguishers, emergency and exit lighting where
- Troubleshoots fire alarm and suppression system malfunctions, determines appropriate repair requirements, and performs necessary minor repairs in accordance with NFPA standards. Provides inspection/test/maintenance
- Assists in general fire and life safety inspections of buildings and facilities to certify fire protection equipment and procedural compliance with NFPA, state, local laws, and regulations. May modify previously installed equipment to ensure compatibility with new units or install safety devices or attachments to old equipment.
- Supervises fire safety contractors work while on-site, where applicable or directed. Inspects and witnesses the testing of fire protection, suppression or fire detection systems to verify that such systems are installed in accordance with appropriate state and federal laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, and standards
- Responds to fire alarm and life safety emergencies; resets fire alarm panels after engagement; investigates and submits written report(s) as to the cause and origin of all actual fire incident(s). Notifies management of fires, the extent of the damage, and if management must take any action following the extinguishing of the fire
- Issues Hot Work Permits and oversees Fire Protection System Impairments
- Attends approved trainings for continuing education units (CEUs) to maintain current knowledge and certification or license(s) of fire prevention, fire systems, safety, hazardous materials, and firefighting procedures
- Provides “On-Call” support and responds to after hours incidents
- Decision making/critical thinking/problem-solving.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, OneNote, and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of best practices for maintaining a safe work environment and culture of safety.
This position provides work direction to the Fire Safety Technician(s) and plans and executes Fire Safety Technician(s) work schedules under the guidance of the Associate Director of Fire Safety.
Required Education and Experience
- Drivers’ License
- High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Education and Experience
- NICET Level II in Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarms or Water-Based Systems.
- Five-ten (5-10) years of sprinkler pipe fitting experience, including knowledge of local AHJ/code requirements; OR a combination of education and related experience to equal eight (8)
This job requires working in commercial industrial, warehouse, and office environments. This position will require working indoors and outdoors in various climate conditions ranging from very hot to very cold with rain. This may include confined spaces.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly requires sitting, walking, bending, and lifting for prolonged periods of time.
- The employee must have a full range of body movements including the use of hands feet and fingers to handle or feel objects and must be capable of bending, reaching, and
- Able to handle or feel objects and use tools and equipment and must be capable of bending, reaching, crouching, climbing and
- Must have command of all five senses sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face for long periods of
- Must be able to lift 75
- Must be able to exert up to 20 pounds
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. This position may involve “On-Call” support and response to after hours incidents.
Most travel is within the Memphis area. Infrequent travel is required outside the Memphis area.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be able to legally work in the United States.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.