Our client is a privately held, Memphis based company that has been in operation since the 1930s. They are seeking a Controller to join their team. THe right candidate will be experienced in Cost Accounting and comfortable in a manufacturing environment, specifically a chemical environment.
The Controller develops, manages and improves all financial and control systems and activities.
Protects the shareholders’ interests by providing timely and accurate financial statements and by assuring that the company prepares correct financial and tax statements, maintains sufficient financial controls, oversees insurance and retirement programs, and makes timely and accurate tax and other payments. Provides timely and accurate information to other investors, including banks.
Provides management with timely and accurate financial and performance information. Develops an intimate understanding of our business in order to recommend and implement changes in internal processes and controls that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of management and processes.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Develops and maintains control systems and procedures to safeguard and protect company assets and interests and to assure accurate financial statements and disclosures. Performs audits as necessary to verify that controls are functioning adequately.
- Designs and implements processes and systems that assure timely and accurate financial and operating statements that provide managers with a clear understanding of the financial performance of the company and/or their area. Establishes and maintains procedures for physical and accounting control of inventories and capital assets.
- Analyzes and interprets financial and operating data in order to identify opportunities to improve profitability, and makes recommendations to managers on reports, data, changes, or other means to help the company capture these opportunities.
- Develops appropriate financial planning and budgeting procedures and directs their implementation.
- Optimizes return on capital employed by minimizing working capital (AR and inventory days less AP days) and by managing a capital appropriations process that assures proper spending controls and adequate return on new investment.
- Forecasts capital requirements, identifies and analyzes capital sources, and determines most advantageous financing methods. Maintains positive relationships with banks and other financing partners, and provides them with timely and accurate information as they require.
- Coordinate and administer all corporate insurance needs including providing to and receiving from brokers and insurance companies timely and accurate information as required.
- Directs preparation and maintenance of the company's accounting records (e.g., billing, accounts payable, payroll). Assures accuracy and timeliness of these activities.
- Coordinates with the company’s independent accountants for the preparation of audited financial statements.
- Assures that the company prepares accurate tax statements and makes timely tax payments. Assures that shareholders are given timely tax information and distributions for income tax payments.
- Supervises accounting personnel such that high standards are met and that the organization provides accounting and control services as efficiently as possible, by utilizing automation, computerization, elimination of non-value-added activities, and other means
- BS Degree in Accounting or Finance; MBA Preferred; CPA a plus
- Cost Accounting / manufacturing experience required – preferably a chemical environment
- Experience with Product Cost Standards and Variance Analysis and driving operational change
- FP&A experience / business unit finance
- Must be a solid leader/manager of people
- Presentation skills in order to present information to senior leadership