The Economic Development Growth Engine Industrial Development Board of the City of Memphis and County of Shelby, TN ("EDGE") is a Tennessee industrial development board created in 2011 under Tennessee Code §7-53-101 et seq. EDGE is governed by an 11-member board appointed equally by the City of Memphis and Shelby County, and is a public, non-profit entity that uses property tax abatements, tax increment financing, loans, grants, Foreign-Trade Zone 77, and other tools to spur local economic growth. EDGE also manages the Memphis and Shelby Port Commission, which runs the International Port of Memphis (5th busiest inland port in the nation) and the Greater Memphis Alliance for a Competitive Workforce. The EDGE Strategic Plan focuses on: (1) industrial development; (2) the Port of Memphis; (3) neighborhood revitalization; (4) small business growth; and (5) promoting regional collaboration.
The Economic Development Specialist assists firms looking to locate, expand or start-up in the city of Memphis and Shelby County by identifying and coordinating access to applicable public and private-sector resources that may benefit those companies. The Economic Development Specialist also conducts outreach to targeted existing local firms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/JOB FUNCTIONS
- • Works directly with entrepreneurs, small business owners, corporate executives and their representatives, including site selection consultants, to accelerate job and investment growth in Memphis/Shelby County.
- • Assists clients working with the Downtown Memphis Commission and its related entities, the Greater Memphis Chamber, the City of Memphis, Shelby County, the State of Tennessee, EDGE and others identify and access all applicable federal/state/local public and private resources.
- • Maintains close and constant communication with clients through project completion, monitoring progress, answering questions, removing obstacles, and making their decision to invest in Memphis/Shelby County as easy as possible.
- • Uses EDGE tax incentive, financing and other programs to assist clients where applicable. Activities include analyzing potential benefit and participation levels, reviewing financial documents and program applications, making presentations, and assisting in the preparation of all documents required to complete the process.
- • Assists with management and compliance for EDGE-related programs including PILOTs, TIFs, bonds, loans, grants, and Foreign Trade Zone 77.
- • Maintains good understanding of all major local, state and national business incentive and assistance programs, and relationships with applicable government officials (e.g., Planning & Development, Public Works, and Assessor) and local private-sector resources.
- • Coordinates with other local, state and federal development-related entities, as well as finance, real estate, legal, accounting and other professionals, to assist client projects.
- • Conducts outreach visits to existing firms in Memphis/Shelby County to provide information on available programs and incentives, identify opportunities and threats, and assist as able.
- • Assists in the preparation of materials to inform the EDGE board, public officials and others about development-related activities, and participates in briefings and presentations.
- • Participates in the creation of new economic development programs and initiatives.
- • Participates in Chamber-led business recruiting trips and trade shows, as required.
- • Assists with board and industry meetings, and other events.
- • Represents EDGE at various meetings and events as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations that do not cause EDGE undue hardship may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, real estate, planning, public policy, or related field, or equivalent work experience required. Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of three (3) years work-related experience required.
Valid driver’s license and some travel required.
Certification and/or awards from the International Economic Development Council, Council of Development Finance Agencies, National Development Council, Tennessee Economic Development Council or other recognized economic development organization is preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- • History of ethical and honest behavior, demonstrating a commitment to integrity, respect and teamwork in professional and other activities.
- • Ability to interact effectively with local, state and government and federal economic development authorities, large and small business owners, bankers and other finance professionals, the commercial real estate community, site selection consultants, and others.
- • Demonstrated ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
- • Strong analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- • Ability to plan, organize and successfully manage multiple activities simultaneously.
- • Good communications skills, oral and written.
- • Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- • Ability to work before and after regular office hours on an as-needed basis.
- • Experience analyzing and interpreting business and real estate financial statements.
Requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a desk and at meetings; some mental pressure meeting deadlines or during meetings and discussions with management; and/or government officials; some local/regional/occasional statewide or national travel; bending, stooping and lifting file boxes, etc., up to 20 pounds; filing; some walking and standing; may spend extended time using a computer.
Work is conducted in typical indoor office environment, though visits to and tours of retail, commercial, manufacturing, distribution, medical, educational and other facilities are a regular part of the work. Outdoor events and programs may also be required. Must be able to travel throughout Shelby County and occasionally to more distant destinations by ground or air.