Our client is seeking an experienced senior leader to join their team as the Vice President for Institutional Advancement. Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President serves on the President’s cabinet, the Foundation Board and other College committees and is responsible for orchestrating activities related to the analysis, planning, execution, control, and evaluation of fund raising and alumni affairs. In addition, the Vice President provides the leadership and management for working with and through the Foundation Board of Directors for its philanthropic programs and activities.
Our client is a comprehensive, multicultural, public, open-access college with a vision to become a national model for technical, career, and transfer education by fostering student success, transforming lives, and increasing the educational level of a diverse community. They have made great strides towards achieving their vision and their $126.6 million economic impact is a shining example of our collective efforts.
Their strategic plan is based on a three prong strategy for success: Focus on Students; Focus on Community; Focus on Excellence. Their most recent achievements include two years of increased enrollment; 24% increase in credentials conferred; an increase in their three-year graduation rates and the fall-to-fall retention rates.
Their next Vice President for Institutional Advancement must be a thoughtful leader, dynamic, forward thinking, goal-oriented, with a strong focus on leadership and results. S/He will be responsible for:
- Providing organizational and strategic leadership for the College Advancement office and the Foundation; overseeing the creation and implementation of all Advancement marketing efforts; preparing development proposals and present development projects to various corporations, foundations and individuals; working with deans and college administrators to coordinate development activities throughout campus, the community and beyond.
- Working with the Foundation Board of Directors in analyzing the fundraising programs and planning for future activities; providing administrative and executive staff support to the Foundation Board.
- Providing leadership and assistance to the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Determining fiscal requirements of department and preparing budgetary recommendations; monitoring, verifying and reconciling expenditure of budgeted funds
- Creating appropriate record keeping system(s) for tracking donor participation, identification, and cultivation of prospects plus volunteer involvement in programs; ensuring training and supervision of paid and volunteer support personnel in establishing and maintaining the record keeping system(s).
- Overseeing the preparation of all content and materials needed for approved fundraising and public relations programs including proposals to donors and donor prospects, gift recognition/ acknowledgment materials, appeal letters, etc.
- Overseeing research compiled on potential individuals, corporations, and Foundation donors identified by Board members, staff and other volunteers, or by virtue of their gift history to like organizations or activities.
- Keeping up to date on current fundraising practices and procedures being utilized in the higher education sector.
- Preparing detailed plans of actions for all approved fundraising and community relations programs including budgets to support their implementation.
- Working with staff and volunteers to ensure that all fundraising and community relations programs are consistent with the overall mission and with the philosophy and concepts of each program and service.
- Researching major funding sources; acting as liaison with faculty and staff to explore feasible funding sources; overseeing and working with alumni and all of its activities; working with campus, community, and legislative groups as appropriate. Overseeing the grants writing and grants management process; works with grant funding agencies, principal investigators and others to ensure deadlines are met; resolves grants related issues, as needed.
- Partnering with Alumni Affairs to create an environment that encourages strong support for the College through service, philanthropy, and events.
Qualifications: Master’s degree and ten (10) years of experience in Institutional Advancement, fundraising, or related area. Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills; be a visionary leader; skillful at teambuilding and able to effectively communicate with constituents at all levels within the organization.