Our client is a manufacturer based in the Memphis area. They are seeking a Supply Chain - Category Manager to manage the raw materials/commodities for approximately 20 plants.
A supply chain category manager is responsible for analyzing the flow of goods through the supply chain in order to identify gaps and issues in current operations and processes. The analysts further use analytical techniques to identify ways to improve the supply chain performance. This position requires the ability to focus on the details while maintaining focus on the big picture. This person must have the ability to make smart and timely decisions in the absence of perfect information.
Apply all Procurement levers (Demand, Process, Supply, and Innovation) in identifying solutions and opportunities with stakeholders to increase profitability of our business with sustainable growth.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for key categories within Company’s Supply Chain
- Manage overall vendor risk and ensure short/long term supply
- Responsible for analysis of any gaps within Company’s procurement performance and developing and implementing action plans to close the gaps.
- Responsible for analysis of key data or insights to determine vendor industry trends
- Foster trust relationships with vendors to achieve better pricing and quality of services
- Place appropriate forecasts and orders to ensure product availability to meet consumer demands while managing sustainable inventory levels
- Analyze risk(s) associated with brands, vendors, and industries to develop alternate or contingency strategies
- Put into Action alternate or contingency strategies (as needed) - coordinating with key stakeholders within and outside supply chain organization to ensure a stable supply of products to plants and customers.
- Identify leverage opportunities, collaborate with buyers, and provide assistance to negotiate contracts, supply agreements and review vendor industry trends.
- Establish packaging specifications and maintain current specs within internal systems
- Conduct value analysis and evaluate/recommend new and/or alternative packaging
- Assist with Supply Chain and stakeholders for new business opportunities.
- Assist plants with inventory control (as needed)
- Maintain monthly tracking documents for all raw material purchases
- Recommend and qualify supplier(s)
- Negotiate supplier claims (as needed)
- Conduct supplier audits (as needed)
- Process all credits in a timely manner and review outstanding credit request on a quarterly basis
Experience and Educational Qualifications
- Four to Seven years’ experience with multi-plant responsibility
- Experience negotiating on a regional and national level
- Preferred four-year college degree
- Computer skills to include TMS, ERP, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, BI Tools, etc.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of people and personalities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to take direction and work well with others.
- Must be able to work under the stress of deadlines.
- Must be able to concentrate and perform accurately.