The Sales Director is responsible for managing the people, processes, and programs of the community sales office. This effort includes both implementing and monitoring measurable sales goals for calls, appointments, event attendance, deposits, occupancy levels and revenue generation for the community. The Sales Director is responsible for communicating the sales and marketing goals to the larger community team and emphasizing the importance of creating a positive customer experience that inspires prospects to want to move to the community. The Sales Director will also be responsible for direct sales and will carry a 75% load.
In order to advance measurable sales results, the Sales Manager will create and maintain effective collaboration, communication, and sales focus with various internal partners to include the Regional Sales Manager, the Executive Director, community executive team, community operations associates, the sponsor and the advertising firm working to advance lead generation and marketing tactics for the community.
The following duties are normal for this position. This list is not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plan and direct all sales activities, which include overseeing the community sales team members
- Generate sales referrals from potential resident and community contacts
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner
- Provide accurate reports to all appropriate parties
- Maintain regular contact with existing leads and prospects
- Achieve the community sales and move in goals
- Exceed hospitality and service standards
- Follow the Sales Process
- Interact with all leads whether provided through advertising, public relations, referral, or personal contact and to turn those leads into depositors and residents of the Community through the use of professional selling skills including but not limited to outbound sales calls, in-person sales presentations, and group presentations
- Plan and execute weekly goals for lead contact: Connect with a sufficient volume of leads and prospects by phone daily create the velocity of sales needed to meet established goals
- Greet all visitors pleasantly and professionally presenting a very positive image for the Community
- Address specific customer preferences and priorities to guide them to commitment
- Maintain “identified” data base effectively and in a timely manner with all inquiries
- Skillfully interview prospects or their representatives to ascertain how the Community will meet their needs
- Know and be able to explain the benefits of residing at the Community
- Record all information obtained during the interview process and accurately input data in the REPS data base
- Conduct effective sales presentations that inspire customers to take the next step in the sales process
- Create and deliver group seminars to prospective residents on a variety of sales-related subjects and evaluate results
- Present the community’s products and services to prospective residents, families, referral sources, and the local community: Make group presentations
- Maintain knowledge of community services and that of the competitors in order to sell and accurately explain the community difference
- Influence closing through sales messages, presentation techniques, facilitation methods and relationship management
- Utilize closing techniques for securing final commitment from prospects
- Efficiently execute the completion of agreements and securing proper signatures on documents
- Execute thorough follow through to be able to retain all sales and move prospects forward to move-in
- Maintain prospect relationships through consistent communications by phone, mail, email, 1:1 contact
- Manage and update customer expectations in a positive manner to assure an informed, supportive and committed prospective base
- Ensure a smooth transition for the residents from the sales process through the move in process
- Establish and maintain complete and accurate records of all reservations, holds, and cancellations, as well as available inventory
Data Management and Tracking the Customer Journey
- Operate prospect-tracking system “identified” and possess strong personal computer proficiency
- Maintain effective hot lead list which provides forecasting opportunities to know and reach monthly sales goals.
- Control lead flow through fair distribution known as the “Up System”
- Know the procedures followed in lead fulfillment and lead tracking to advance a prospect in the sales process
- Review advertising strategies/tactics for clarity and alignment with the target market
Training and Development
- Strive for constant improvement in selling skills through attendance at sales training meetings and through the reading of motivational and sales-oriented materials
- Assess learning needs of sales team at various job levels, assisting in their professional development by identifying competency levels, writing reviews and creating growth plans
- Provide coaching on a day to day basis and assist sales team members in applying skills/knowledge to on-the-job performance
- Remain informed about the local real estate market, the customer profile in your market, competitor communities, industry trends and customer trends
- Build trust and strong cross functional relationships within the community and operational structure
- Provide sales coaching and mentoring to sales team, including identifying top prospects, and the needed sales strategies to move these prospects forward in the buying decision
- Provide training to assure accurate reports to all appropriate parties
- Encourage input into the development of marketing and sales plans to achieve occupancy goals
- Work closely with RCA to establish a weekly exchange of information on inventory and other sales issues in order to anticipate and prioritize next steps, as well as communicate with the internal sales team
- Other duties as assigned by the Community
- Supervise all members of the Sales department including coordinating and approving time off, training and motivating, conducting performance evaluations, counseling, and directing and managing the workflow for the department.
- Review and give initial approval of all applications for residency.
- Manage, process and verify canceled and transferred leads and waiting lists.
- Provide assistance and/or advice to other Sales Counselors with regard to the handling of their prospects when necessary or when required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Public Relations/Communications or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Two to three years’ experience in marketing/sales in senior living setting with supervisory experience.
- Sales or consulting experience a plus.
- Previous management experience.
- Experience with lead management database system (RHS).
- Proven sales experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Effective communication with all levels in a professional manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills to effectively communicate and train on the systems and processes.
- Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to explain current residency fee structure.
- Ability to explain current monthly service fee structure.
- Cognitive Demands:
- Must be self-starter, attentive to detail and possess excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to manage and motivate others and build teams.
- Must be able to work with little supervision.
- Positive attitude and approach to change and improvements.
- Computer Skills:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize RHS Lead Management software.
- Effective sales, leadership and presentation skills.
- Detail oriented and excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
- Ability to problem solve in an effective manner to manage staff.
- Transports prospects within a reasonable distance to and from the Information Center
- Call on prospects in their home
- Make evening or weekend appointments if necessary to close a sale
- Works primarily indoors in a climate controlled setting
- Possible exposure to unpleasant odors
- Possible exposure to chemicals as identified in the MSDS Manual
- Continuous exposure to clients and/or family members who may be under stress