Portfolio Manager + Lead Consultant
Our client applies investment principles - quantitative and qualitative analysis - to disrupt our city’s persistent cycle of poverty.
How It Works:
Our client pinpoints partner organizations with the potential or capacity to generate the most effective solutions that lift and keep Memphians out of poverty. To unlock maximum potential, our client equips their partner organizations with data-driven technologies, technical assistance, capable personnel and other support. Knowing that many of their partner organizations require additional, ongoing streams of revenue to maximize poverty alleviating outcomes, our client recruits investors to join their IMPACT FUND. This fund allows them to aggregate community dollars, mobilizing every level of donor, from 1 dollar to $10 million. Using their IMPACT FUND, they intend to make strategic, long-term investments, often in partnership with other funders, in programs that have demonstrated their effectiveness and potential for growth. Over time, they will rebalance investments as needed, shifting funds toward people and programs with the greatest return on investment. As various partner organizations empirically demonstrate the ability to diminish the root causes and long-term impacts of poverty, our client will help them explore and pursue public funding to support operations and scaling. These funding opportunities also frees private resources to invest in new innovation, new partner organizations, and new measurement systems that will lead to even more outside support.
About The Position: Our client is seeking an experienced, driven, self-motivated individual to help support, manage, and expand their portfolio of nonprofit organizations. The Portfolio Manager + Lead Consultant is a key leadership role in an organization that is uniquely positioned to recondition the charitable giving landscape. From the ground floor, this individual will be joining a team of highly talented and passionate individuals.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as a consultant and trusted thought partner for a host of nonprofit organizations.
- Measure and monetize the net impact of these organizations.
- Assess success of each partner entity in using its resources to achieve its most critical 3-5 outcomes.
- Promote the advancement of a data-driven, test-and-learn culture throughout these organizations.
- Help assess organizational structure and effectiveness and champion organizational changes as needed.
- Develop, implement, and continually refine rigorous and cost-effective tools that measure and monetize poverty alleviating outcomes.
- Research and forecast future trends and predict non-observable events (counterfactuals) by applying statistical methods to economic and demographic data and leveraging third party research (e.g. longitudinal studies, RCTs, etc.).
- Ensure that a coordinated plan exists for taking projects through all stages of development to launch. And, help ensure tools and technologies are in place to execute these plans.
- Generate concise quarterly updates for management team and board.
- Identify and engineer collaborative opportunities among partner organizations.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources.
- Clean, organize, and store collected data.
- Assist in the design and maintenance of internal databases, including the establishment of database standards and controls, management of source data, and assurance of data quality.
- Appropriate levels of humility, confidence, empathy, and risk-taking.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly assess situations, identify trends, develop solutions, and translate insights into high-level guidance and tactical execution.
- Basic knowledge of social impact investments as a means to reduce poverty.
- Experience in creating and managing data tools and procedures to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven record of organizational leadership; ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; relentless work ethic.
- Strong work ethic with ability to operate independently.
- Excellent track record working as a consultant.
- 5+ years of professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree in relevant field preferred (e.g. Economics, Statistics, Information Management, Engineering, Sociology, Statistics, or Public Policy).