The Production Supervisor is responsible for leading day to day operations of a manufacturing location/area to drive continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, productivity and customer satisfaction. Provides leadership to supervision and employees and ensures they have the proper tools to perform their job safely and efficiently.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads daily Team Performance Center meetings with Operations team to review KPIs including safety, quality, asset care, and establish short and long term action plans to issues identified on daily basis.
- Conducts multiple daily Operations Gemba walks throughout the day to optimize Operations flow and efficiencies. May change work flow priorities as needed and works to resolve any problems that may occur.
- Participates and leads Lean Manufacturing practices to such as Six Sigma, 5S, FMEA, 8D Problem Analysis. Utilizes these practices to determine root causes of systemic problems to resolve them.
- Engages the team in identifying and implementing continuous improvement projects in the areas of Safety, Quality, Cost, Productivity and Customer Satisfaction.
- Directs and assists with developmental or experimental activities.
- Engages Operations floor employees in problem resolution in order to improve Operations issues/efficiencies utilizing Lean Manufacturing techniques as needed.
- Performs necessary administrative functions such as budgetary administration, employee safety, performance reviews and employee counseling. Includes the completion and review of "Leader Standard Work" forms follows-up as necessary with direct reports.
- Participates in weekly forecast calls to coordinate Operations with other locations in order to meet customers' shipment deadlines.
- Reviews and updates Key Performance Indicators KPIs (Daily, Weekly and Monthly) to ensure facility is on track to meet overall departmental objectives.
- Attends shift handoff meetings at least twice a week to observe and provide feedback to operations team focusing on continuous improvement.
- Conducts Behavior-Based Safety observations daily and works with employees to ensure they are performing their job in a safe manner.
- Participates in monthly site safety review to understand problem areas and establish plans to improve overall safety record and reduce incidents.
- Meets with Planning and Operations team members to discuss Operations schedules and changes in the schedule that are needed.
- Works with Operations team to ensure vacancies are covered for any planned/unplanned absences.
- Participates and leads weekly Quality PDCA (Plan, Do, Check and Act) meetings to ensure action items are executed within established timelines.
- Interfaces with customers and suppliers. Visits both as necessary.
- Coordinates with the Maintenance Department to prioritize maintenance work orders in an effort to improve OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and downtime.
- Ensures employees are properly trained in all aspects of their jobs to include safety, quality and Operations. Identifies training gaps and develops training plans.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor degree in engineering or operations management and 3 years supervisory experience in manufacturing environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Management experience in operations, maintenance, engineering and/or process improvement roles including managing teams of people
- Previous experience working in a Lean environment; Embraces continuous improvement Six Sigma Green or Black Belt Certification a plus
- Strong financial acumen including an understanding of the budgeting process and how they relate to KPIs
- Exceptional leadership, change management and communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Attention to Communication
- Results Orientation
- Managing Performance
- Managing Change
- Developing Others